Friday, August 28, 2009

Second Chance by Jane Green

This book was recommended to me by a colleague who told me that she "laughed and cried" while reading it. Any book that can trigger those types of emotions is my kind of book! On my book scale, 1 being I couldn't even finish it and 10 being I couldn't put it down, I'd rate this book as 7/10.

The story is about a group of friends who have lost touch over the years, but are reacquainted when one of their friends Tom gets killed in a terrorist act. There's Saffron an actress who is a recovering alcoholic and is secretly dating an A list actor who is strategically married to another actress. There's Holly who is in a loveless marriage and finds herself lusting over Tom's younger brother and struggles to walk away from her controlling husband. Then there's Paul who, with his lovely wife Anna, cannot conceive children. And then Olivia, who is newly divorced and strives to find herself again.

I think that readers can identify with the struggles the characters go through. It's about supporting each other through thick and thin, embracing what life has given to you, and standing up for what makes you happy. If you're in the mood for a chick-lit book that's a no brainer to read, definitely check this one out!

1 comment:

Tap Dummy said...

And you're calling ME sappy?!? "...laugh & cry"?!?!? Sheeesh.