Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Landmark Forum

This weekend, I participated in a self development seminar called The Landmark Forum. Those whom I know have completed the 3 day seminar vow that their lives were forever changed. Broken relationships restored, the impossible became possible, and suddenly their worlds were filled with endless opportunities. I hesitated before taking this course as it not only costs $395 but is also held over three 13 hour days (9AM-10PM) Friday-Sunday. I struggle to describe the insight I gained this past weekend because it was an experience more than anything else. After being released into the "real world" on Monday and Tuesday, I almost feel as though I am floating and am consciously aware of everything that is running through my mind, except that I am realizing these thoughts from a 3rd person perspective. I can now clearly see when my mind which works on auto-pilot tries to make meaning out of everyday life, thus creating worries, unnecessary stress and frustrations, sadness, etc... and stop myself from living in a story which my mind created over the many experiences of my life thus far. Because of this new awareness, I am living in the present instead of the past or the future, leaving me with a newfound freedom from all of my thoughts that used to weigh me down. I realize how much of what I used to think about really doesn't matter, and it only mattered because of the story that I had created for myself. I find myself seeing people differently, with a lot more compassion and fewer judgements. I not only know, but truly believe from the bottom of my heart that life is full of so many possibilities and that I can be whoever I choose to be. So many people in class had their ah-ha moments throughout the three days, but I never did. Even so, somehow, I find that I have transformed even when at times, my overanalytical mind tried to resist what the course was teaching. What I found was that you can resist knowing and understanding, but you cannot resist experiencing something. The course was designed so that everyone in the room would experience transformation, not just learn about it. The life lessons they taught have somehow become a part of me and for the first time ever, NOTHING is going through my mind. My mind is quiet and I am at peace with myself and with everyone and everything else around me. This is all just so wierd because I'm so not used to having a quiet mind, but I hope this'll last for a while...

2 comments:

Candace said...

Awesome. :) Can't wait to hear more about it.

Tap Dummy said...

"I can now clearly see when my mind which works on auto-pilot tries to make meaning out of everyday life, thus creating worries, unnecessary stress and frustrations, sadness, etc... and stop myself from living in a story which my mind created over the many experiences of my life thus far."

That's pretty much the basis of "Narrative Therapy" in psych circles. I'm a fan. Sounds like you got your money's worth!