Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Inner Child

Last night, I had the strangest dream.  I dreamt that I was at my junior high school looking for the younger version of myself.  I knew exactly where she would be and when I got to her I stood in front of her.  I was a head taller than her, so she was looking up at me smiling, but I could feel that there was nothing behind that smile. I proceeded to hug her tightly and said "You are alright.  Everything is going to be alright" and then I woke up.  What's strange is that I knew I was dreaming and that I had to find myself to console my inner child who still struggles with childhood wounds in order to heal as an adult.  But I didn't have enough time.  I didn't get to tell her that she was perfect the way she is, that she was good enough, that she was accepted, that she was worthy, that her opinion matters, that she was not to blame for other people's mistakes, that she didn't have to carry the burden of taking the role of a parent when she was just a child, that the world wasn't a scary place, and that she deserved to be happy.  I didn't get to teach her how to express herself through words instead of throwing a tantrum or pouting, to love everyone as God loved her, to feel comfortable in her own skin and run her own race, to forgive and receive forgiveness, to dream big and then pursue those dreams, to stand up for herself and what she believes in, and to value herself enough to never let anyone make her feel any less than AWESOME.  I didn't get to share any of this with her, and so I hope that she will one day find the strength within herself to dig deep and overcome all her brokenness and be able to live fearlessly all the days of her life.

No comments: