Friday, January 31, 2014

Diaper Cake

As the hostess of a friend's baby shower next Saturday, I decided that the gift of a diaper cake would not only be practical, but useful as decor at the shower.  This gal is all about black and white chic, so after a little brainstorming and 100+ diapers later, I made my very first diaper cake!

Diapers (size 2), glue gun, rubber bands, ribbons, cardboard cutout, fabric, cardboard roll from wrapping paper - All ready to go!
 
 Roll the diapers up and secure with a rubber band (vs. tape).  This helps the happy couple save on diapers as they'll be able to reuse from the cake!

A sneaky trick is filling the center with a blanket, onesie, etc... so that it reduces the number of diapers you'll need to use.  I decided to make an 18" diameter cake, so I still ended up using over 100 diapers.  I cut out a circle from an old cardboard box and wrapped it with black fabric with grey treble clefs on it since her son is named after a musician.  The wrapping paper tube was my way of ensuring that the layers wouldn't topple off during transportation.  It was easy to stuff the center with a diaper to hide it from the top view.  I used string to tie all the diapers together before wrapping the ribbons around and securing them with a glue gun.

 Voila!  Topped with her love of stuffed elephants and a pair of black and white chucks, the cake is complete!  I think I might add a black mustache in the front since it is a mustache and bowtie themed shower - that's TBD!

Stay tuned for the rest of my shower decorations next week!

No comments: