Friday, November 2, 2012

Homeland


I just got Showtime and am hooked on Homeland.  Claire Danes' character annoys the heck out of me, but it is so funny because if your mind is alert and and your heart is receptive, you will find that there is a lesson to be learned in almost every situation.

The other night I was watching an episode of Homeland.  For the most part, I have stayed mum, quietly cursing Claire Danes' wrecklessness and disobedience in my mind careful to not disturb J as he enjoys watching his shows in silence whereas I like to add my colorful commentary because what I have to say is that important.  But this particular episode pushed me over the edge.  "She is so annoying!  I hate her right now!" and "She's going to ruin everything!" and "Why are you not sharing the same level of frustration with me?!" were the words that kept pouring out of my mouth.  I couldn't take it anymore.  Her character was so impulsive that it was driving me bananas.  And then it all came together...

Though her actions were not premeditated, there was an outcome born from her choices.  Meaning, at the time, her choices didn't make any sense, but the result that came after gave meaning and purpose to those choices.  An outcome was born, though not conclusive, did contribute to the overall direction her team wanted to move toward.  More simply put, everything happens for a reason.

I reflected on this and wondered how many times I got frustrated and annoyed in the moment because I didn't understand why something was happening or why something had to be the way it was only to find out that oh, there was a reason for this.  That everything always works out in the end.  Maybe to my benefit, or maybe to my detriment, but someone else's benefit, but bottomline, there is a purpose.  A purpose that comes to fruition immediately, or perhaps a purpose that I will never come to realize because my world is only so big.  The lesson learned is to try to be still and trust that God is always in control. 

This is a theme that has been recurring in my life lately, a thought that has been marinating in my mind.  I don't think it was a coincidence that I came across a plaque recently that I immediately purchased that reads...

"Your journey is unfolding exactly as it should be."

No comments: