Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July

This 4th of July was filled with a plethora of learning.  Learning about what this national holiday means to me and what it may mean to others.  Growing up, my family never had any traditions in celebrating independence day.  Some years we would have a BBQ at home and light sparkly sticks afterwards and others we wouldn't celebrate at all.  But yearly, I would peer out of my parents' bedroom window to watch the fireworks show put on by the local high school.  For most, July 4th is not the same without celebrating over BBQ with friends and family and watching fireworks.  For me, the definition of July 4th is within as I take a moment to appreciate the country that I live in.  That's not to say though, that I don't enjoy a BBQ with good food and watching fireworks!

This year, I helped out at a local community street fair where the adults from around the neighborhood pitch in and host a small celebration for the kids.  There were hot dogs, family games, kid performances, and other goodies.  Everyone was so festive, dressed in red, white, and blue - all in good spirits celebrating with their families.  What I loved most about the street fair was that it was an avenue to create memories for kids.  I think it is so important to create as many happy moments as you can for your children so that they have positive things to look back on, always.

No comments: