Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Balayage Debacle

This past weekend, I decided to subtly lighten my hair for the summer with a trendy balayage.  I have done it once before at a salon that specializes in balayage, but due to distance, I decided to ask my stylist whether she could color my hair for me.  This lady has cut my hair for at least a decade, but I have never asked her to color because frankly, I didn't know whether I could trust her.  I am one of those who will cry if my haircut turns out poorly.  I guess my first mistake was still moving forward after she said she didn't know the term balayage.  I proceeded to explain to her what it was I wanted...lighter highlights that didn't start at the root of my head, but blended into my natural color to minimize future maintenance.  She assured me that she knew what she was doing.  4.5 hours later, I went home with the worst hack job EVER.  The color was not blended in at all and my hair looked like it had grown out over the past 6 months and I had no time to touch it up.  She spent 2 hours trying to fix it, and I finally asked her to stop trying because I could tell it was hopeless.  

The next day, I bit the bullet (well, I really didn't have a choice) and headed to the salon I had once been to before and asked them whether they could fix it.  This young girl was so confident she could, so I decided to move forward.  2 hours later, I think I'm almost blonde and though it was better than the previous day, you could still see the blunt line that was there before.  The stylist told me that I would have to come back multiple times to break through that line since it was so prominent.  Why didn't she tell me that to begin with?!  To which she responded was her bad...well her bad doesn't make up for the fact that my hair is still not presentable and I would have to live with it for a while to let it recover from the 8 hours of damage it had just undergone!  And of course, she took my money.  At least the stylist the day before had the decency to just charge me for the products she used since I wasn't a happy customer.  Here are the photos:

(Left) Seriously, I think I could have done a better job!

(Right) Look how much lighter my hair turned out and you can still vaguely see the drastic color change even after the "fix"

So, I have to attempt to hide the hideous by curling my hair everyday

Or putting it into a braid, which seems to be the popular look these days

Lesson learned: Do not be lazy when it comes to hair.  Pay the extra $$$ and travel the extra mile(s)!
 

1 comment:

Diana Elizabeth said...

Oh girl, my little sis went through a very similar strange thing - her hair ended up being purple instead of chocolate brown. Thankfully she was bold enough to refuse payment, but her scalp hurt after all the hours at the salon trying to fix it (not totally fixed). I'm glad your hair got all sorted out though. xx