Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Domino Effect

Working with colleagues from all around the world, I sometimes have conference calls early in the morning.  Today was no exception.  On the line was a woman who tends to make snide remarks and easily comes across as condescending toward others.  On this particular morning, she decided to throw me a punch and I reacted frustratingly and quickly decided that this was no way I wanted to start my morning and now my day was ruined.  After the call was over, I grumpily stomped around the house and hastily left shortly after.  During my hour+ commute, I reflected on my reaction and thought about how her lack of judgment affected me, how I probably dampened J's morning having witnessed my frown, and how my poor mood affected how considerate I was on the road, and how that would affect other drivers, and so on.  I thought about how much power one person can have and how many lives one person can touch whether positively or negatively through his/her interaction with just one other person.  I think I have always known this, but today it affected me differently because I truly realized that I could be a part of this downstream effect if I wanted to.  But I didn't.  I want to be someone who will trigger a joyful ripple effect, not someone who will initiate or continue a negative one.  Gosh, one person can make a difference.

No comments: