Monday, June 8, 2009

Dinner For One, Please

Realizing that I consistently spend about $500/month on food, I believe it's time to cutback and become a little bit more resourceful with my meals. I love to cook, though I am no chef, but it's so hard to cook for just one person. Everything I buy at the grocery stores feeds at least two mouths per package. So, I usually split my vegetables and meats into smaller packages to spread it throughout the week, but then who wants to eat broccoli three days out of the seven? Or worse, if I have leftovers after dinner that I bring for lunch, it's like eating broccoli six times in one week! That's really all the time I have before my groceries starts to spoil. Sigh, such a conundrum I am in. Regardless, here's to creativity and my attempt to eat-in more often and eat healthier!

Day 1
Ong Choy (asian veggie), Beef stew in soy sauce (this was my first time making this so it came out too salty after 1.5 hours of cooking the meat so that it would soften up!), Egg (for protein!)

Day 2 Mmm, filet mignon! Wannabee Giovanni Shrimp Truck garlic/butter shrimp! And brocolli with oyster sauce.

Day 3
Pork and shrimp potstickers from scratch (for the most part) at 10PM at night. I even made enough to feed myself and my coworker for lunch the next day. Yay for leftovers!


Day 4
Got lazy and decided to boil a few wontons (made from a while back), steam up some Chinese broccoli, and fry an egg (no leftovers, sniff sniff)

Day 5
Okay, DO NOT be afraid. This tasted better than it looked. This is a product of super duper laziness. A friend in college taught me this: wheat penne pasta, cream of mushroom soup, and a can of tuna. It really is not bad!

Day 6
Curry fish ball and Chinese brocolli (see the repeat?)

Okay, so I admit, by the end of the week on Sunday, I was excited to go to my parents' place for my Mom's cooking. I even snatched her leftovers, mwuahaha. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Gary said...

Wow, $500 a month? When I had to feed myself, I'd usually boil some pasta and pour some pasta sauce over it. Yum. Or boil some dumplings. Or microwave some chicken nuggets. Or head over to Sam Woo for their takeout (less than $6 for 2 item combo and some rice). Or... or... I think I just rotated between the three. Monday pasta. Tuesday dumplings. Wednesday Sam Woo (large serving, perfect for 2 hours in front of the TV [Smallville and Supernatural]. Thursday chicken nuggets. Friday, Saturday, Sunday - home for real food.

Candace said...

Great job with cooking ALL week...that is quite impressive. Your dishes look pretty yummy...especially the Giovanni shrimp. ;)

mamatree said...

Sherly, you are a pretty amazing cook! Can you teach me? I am very impressed.

Tap Dummy said...

Nice! I also have a few restaurants in weekly rotation. Crazy Fish in Beverly Hills for sushi, this one ghetto K-town soup place (my fave), Chipotle, Pho Show in Culver City, Pampas Brazilian BBQ, Costco roasted chicken ($5/bird--feeds me for 4 meals!), and fruits/veggies. That list looks unhealthier than it is, but I'm pretty sure I beat your $500/mo food bill.

I think it's hilarious that you drink OJ with your meals. (I do the same thing).