Thursday, September 27, 2012

Update On Echo

It turns out that Echo fell on his growth plate and shifted it slightly, so his healing process is taking a while longer.  The veterinarian put a bandage on his leg for additional support for 2 weeks which he was able to remove this week.  For whatever reason, the bandage was glued onto his leg and when they removed it, they removed a layer of his skin with it.  Echo was so brave throughout the whole process, even when he had to wear the cone of shame to prevent him from licking his wounds.

I also noticed that he had been sneezing and sniffling a whole lot and his nose was super wet.  I was holding him one night and he started to reverse sneeze.  If you have never seen a dog reverse sneeze before, it really is a very scary experience, but is fairly harmless.  Sure enough, the vet diagnosed him with a cold.  His lymphnodes and tonsils were swollen.  Now, he is on anti-inflammatory medication, pain relievers, and antibiotics.  Poor little guy. 

Being a pet owner takes a lot of patience and heart.  I have been getting into work late and leaving early just so I can take him out for his potty break and have been working from home whenever I can to spend more time with him outside of his crate.  Ideally, if I get into work late, I can leave a little later, or if I get in earlier, I leave earlier, but that isn't doable in my storybook.  I think that those who have deeply experienced the love and joy a dog brings into their lives share my sentiments on how special and deserving these little furballs really are.  Dogs are never "just dogs".


He looked so sad meandering around the house with this on his head and would stare at me pawing at his cone as though he was trying to say "Free me!" that I quickly gave in and removed it the next day.

I love my little guy, so so much!  He is such a good dog.  Not a day goes by do I ever take this little blessing for granted. 


No comments: