Thursday, March 11, 2010

Short Term Memory Rocks!

No, I refuse to believe that it is because of old age.  Although, this forgetfulness problem seems to worsen with each passing year.  Hmm...
  • I get lost over the course of <10 miles going to and from a location I have been to more than three times because I can't remember whether I should turn left or right, on this street or that.  Just happened this morning actually and ended up on a half hour detour.
  • During introductions, once you say your name, I will turn around and forget it.  Trust me, it's not personal.  Case in point, just this week:
    • Me: Hi!  I'm Sherly.  Nice to meet you!
    • Person: Um, hi, I'm _ _ _ _ _."
    • Friend: You guys have met before!
    • Me: Oh, we have?  I don't remember ever meeting you!
    • Person: That's messed up!
    • Me: Oops.  I remember now!  You're dating Linda!
    • Person: No, Anita.
    • Me: Oops.  But I was close, right?
  • I'll tell someone about a movie I saw to which the other person will respond "I saw that with you, you ding dong."
  • My old friends constantly bring up embarrasing or humiliating stories about me that I have NO recollection of e.g., apparently I got vocally got mad at an old lady who made a racist comment to my friend and I at TGIFs in college (I blame that one on selective memory)
  • I'll totally be passionate about a story I'm telling and be expecting a "wow!" or "oh my!" type of response from my listener(s), but I usually get the "that's nice" response because they've already heard my story more than once...from me...
  • This IM chat today with SP triggered this post and confirmed (as if there was ever any doubt) that I definitely do not have an elephant brain:
    • Me (referring to when I received a gift card from a Partner): a long time ago when we were in SF together (Partner and I)
    • SP: yes i remember that you fool.  i was in sf then.
    • Me: LOL  you were?  no you weren't!  howcome i never saw you????
    • SP: we met three times dumbass
    • Me: LOL WE DID?
    • SP: no wonder you think we haven't kept in touch in a while. you have the memory of a goldfish.
So the next time I forget something important or unimportant for that matter about you, it doesn't mean that I love you any less.  xoxo

No comments: